Large Diaphragm Condenser Mic

I’ve just finished building a new, large-diaphragm condenser microphone. This was a lot of fun to do!

This microphone uses a Transsound TSB-2555A electret condenser capsule and seems to work pretty good. Here’s a quick, stereo, piano test with a second mic of the same type, if you are curious and/or bored.

The circuit is based on a classic Schoeps circuit. This particular variation was developed by user “zapnspark” on the Yahoo “micbuilders” forum. If you are interested in doing something like this, that forum is amazing!

Here are some photos of the construction. I used a tip from an exhaust pipe that I found at a surplus store for the casing. The base is a 2″ steel ring, to which I epoxied a washer and fastened an XLR connector. Copper wire holds the circuit in place. A piece of wood holds the capsule assembly in place.

I have yet to build a shock mount for it.