Last night (May 29) I was ordained a deacon for the Diocese of Saskatoon by Bishop Albert LeGatt in my internship parish at Macklin. I’ve been posted at St. Paul’s Cathedral in Saskatoon for the summer.
What do I say about that… it’s still somewhat surreal. I have never been more excited or nervous (!) for anything before. It was an incredible, overwhelming, and beautiful celebration, and in many ways it is still sinking in. I keep thinking, “Woah – I’m a deacon!” And it’s a pretty amazing feeling.
It’s quite wonderful and, as I said, surreal, to know that at some fundamental level I am changed for ever (as in eternity).
What a night.
I hope to have some photos up soon, but Elaine has several up on her blog, so check them out!
I’m off on my canonical retreat with 3 other seminarians this week in Edmonton at Providence Centre. TTYL & please pray for us!
While I was at home David, Danny, and myself decided to try our hand at recording something a bit more involved than “Our Song” that we had recorded at Christmas. We have started recording a piece that David wrote. You can download a rough mp3 of the song here. We plan on adding lyrics when I get back here after my retreat, and David would like to re-record some of his guitar solo stuff. If it fits, we may add some piano as well, though with the high electric guitars it may not be necessary.
The drums were the most challenging part to record (for me, anyway). I had to play around a lot with the positioning of the microphones. I ended up doing what Saskatoon’s High Voltage Recording suggested and put two mics at either end of the drum set, and then one more inside the kick drum. The SM57 went on the side of the hihat/cymbal/snare, and my homebrew, phantom-powered electret condenser (see the Easter post) went on the other side. I used my homemade self-powered mic inside the kick drum. Danny was playing the drums. I do wish I could have had a more distinct snare drum sound, but with three microphones I’m reasonably happy at how it turned out.
David played the guitars and I used the SM57 on all of those tracks. The airhole on the acoustic guitar was placed a couple of inches from the microphone for that track. The mic was placed slightly off-center and a couple of inches from the speaker for the electric guitar tracks, as is recommended on Shure’s web site. The bass track was played by me on my keyboard. Since it doesn’t really have a bass sound, I used a couple of other sounds together and then did some heavy bass-boosting in Audacity afterward.
The recording itself was done with the Creative Labs recording tool that came with the external sound module (it works pretty well!). Mixing was done with the Audacity beta on my older laptop – which meant for some extended wait times while the computer rendered the final mix!
The first few bars are pretty repetitive, but there will be lyrics there when we get to it… So anyway, enjoy – and check back here in a couple of weeks for (hopefully) the full version of the song.
Hello and welcome to National Mike Landry Recognition Week 2006. I’d say that Mikedor is an old geezer today, but… well, I’m older. So, I’ll just settle with “recognizing” Mike during this special holiday. Happy Birthday!
Hey everyone. I finished my jurisdiction exam last Friday and arrived in Nipawin on Saturday evening for some R&R. I’ll be here until the end of the week and will then head to Edmonton (via Saskatoon) for my canonical retreat. So, I won’t be on the web all that often in the next few weeks.